Facilities and Labs
Mike & Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum-Nano Centre
The Mike & Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum-Nano Centre celebrated its grand opening on Sept. 21, 2012.
Constructed to the most stringent scientific standards — including controls for vibration, temperature, humidity, electromagnetic radiation and more — the facility enables quantum information research at the highest international level.
- 285,000 square feet, shared between the Institute for Quantum Computing and the Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology
- Meets highest scientific standards for control of vibration, humidity, electromagnetic radiation and temperature
- Shared cleanroom/fabrication facility enables design of structures billionths of a metre in size
- Labs constructed underground to minimize electromagnetic interference and vibration
- Highly convertible “mind spaces” accommodate conferences, public lectures and more
- Auditorium with multi-tiered retractable seating splits into two or four rooms to accommodate up to 220 people
- Six-storey atrium with floating staircase provides common ground for scientists of all disciplines to meet and collaborate
- An architectural marvel at the heart of campus
- Vertical windows of varying reflectivity/transparency on IQC metaphorically signify quantum superposition; honeycomb patter on WIN side represents strong natural nanostructures
Laboratories and Technical Specifications:
- Superconducting Qubits (solid-state and low temperature)
- Atomic & Ion-trapping Quantum Information Processing
- Quantum Optics
- NMR/Spin-Based Quantum Information Processing
- Quantum Communication/Cryptography
The laboratories are equipped with the following:
- Temperature Control: +/- 1 C
- Humidity Range: 80 – 30 %
- Vibration Rating: VC-E
- RFI/EMI Shielding 3mG
The Quantum NanoFab facility is a world-class operation at the QNC shared between IQC, WIN and the University of Waterloo.
The ultra-sterile cleanroom/fabrication facility is constructed upon a separate foundation from the rest of the building, ensuring that it will never vibrate more than a micron (a fraction of the width of a human hair).
- Class-100 cleanroom (less than 100 particles per cubic foot of air)
- Stray magnetic fields of less than 0.1 uTesla
- Minimization of EMI interference with fibreglass rebar in 1-metre thick concrete floor
- Vibration isolation of all electrical and mechanical systems fastened to ceilings
- Floor vibration: displacement of less than 2um peak-to-peak
- AdvanceTEC Inter 6,700 ft2 mediate ceiling grid installed
- Maintained temperature of 20C (+/- 1) and relative humidity of 35% (max 40)
Research Advancement Centre I
In 2008, IQC constructed a temporary fabrication facility at Research Advancement Centre I in the David Johnston Research & Technology Park.
- Class-1000 (one cubic foot contains less than 1,000 particles)
- e-beam lithography for patterning designs with dimensions as small as 20 billionths of a metre
- Atomic layer deposition
- Optical lithography for engineering nanoscale devices